Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Week 7

                                                                                                          December 8th, 2014

Good News from a Far Country (Proverbs 25:25 I think)

Dear Family,
I`m in Uruguay!! The last days in the CCM were great! On Tuesday we took a half hour flight from Buenos Aires to Montevideo.  My arrival group was nineteen members strong and we had a lot of meetings when we arrived at the mission home.  We all fought sleep as hard as we could (as we were lucky if we had had three hours of sleep the night before) and the president kept making us walk outside in order to wake up.

The next day we got to meet our trainers!!! There`s a tradition that we all meet our trainers in front of the temple.  We all closed our eyes and turned around, but my companion wasn`t there yet, because she was still on her way from her area. My trainer arrived while we were in the temple.  Her name is Hermana Urbina and she is from Nicaragua. She is super short and beautiful!
Our area is the farthest from the capital--it was an 8 hour bus ride to our house. We arrived just in time to go to bed!

Something funny about this mission is that we wake up and go to bed half an hour later than other missions.  This is because the Uruguayans sleep a lot! They stay up late And have a ciesta!

The summer here is brutal, especially the sun.  It`s really embarrassing for me, because I arrive at people`s houses Totally soaked in sweat.  They say things like "oh, pobre Hermana!"  Also, Hermana Urbina seems to think that walking between lessons is an Olympic event! She walks so fast, I hope one day that I can too.  I live for the days that it rains, like today and yesterday.

We live in a house with two other hermanas, and one of them is from my arrival group (Hermana Rosado).  They all speak Spanish so i`m definitely in a good position to learn a lot! Even if I don`t understand all the things that they say.  I saw my first cockroach on my first night here! Hermana Urbina is super afraid of them, and freaks out every time there`s one in our apartment.

I really love the people here in Uruguay.  Hermana Urbina works super hard, so I`ve met a lot of people so far.  She says that my Spanish is really good, but I just need to talk more :P surprised?

We keep teaching about Christmas; it`s the most bizarre feeling to talk about Christmas at the hottest time of the year.  Also, statues of Santa wear the full fur suit here. Weird, huh?

Here, we greet all the women with kisses on the cheek. All the time! When you arrive, when you leave. Sometimes the men try too but we can`t kiss them because we`re missionaries. Also, when someone doesn`t have a door, you stand outside and clap really loud!

I can definitely say that The Lord has not made missionary work easy for me... at times I face some struggles, but I know that I just need to have faith, and then I will be stronger.

So that`s it for now! Until next time!
~Hermana Autery
 Thanksgiving dinner. There was a miscommunication with the cooks and they got french fries instead of mashed potatoes.

They had a good Thanksgiving. This is the last picture with these 3 for now. Im sure she's going to miss them.

Her district with their awesome teacher, Hermano Cristeche.

Paige's new address:
Sister Paige LeeAnn Autery
Uruguay Montevideo West Mission
Enrique Martinez 1167
C.P. 11.800 Montevideo
Uruguay 


No comments:

Post a Comment